Monday, May 2, 2016

What’s Going On?!




Hey everyone! Apologies once again for things being so quiet on the blog front lately. Let’s just say that life gets in the way and leave it at that.

I’ve been hearing from some fans lately about how quiet AMC has been about promoting Halt and Catch Fire, a lot of people are frustrated that we aren’t hearing more and I’ve been pretty frustrated too.

Seasons 1 and 2 both premiered end of May/beginning of June timeframe. It is now early May and we have yet to hear anything about a season 3 premiere date. Also, this time last year we were already seeing promos on AMC about HCF being available for catch up on Netflix and On Demand and early teasers for season 2. So far this year, not much of anything for season 3 and no ads for HCF on Netflix other than on social media. So if you’re like me, you’re asking yourself…

What’s Going On?!?

Well, we finally may have an answer to at least some of that…

While watching Fear the Walking Dead last night, I noticed a commercial advertising “Tuesday nights on AMC.” The commercial mentioned The Night Manager (already airing), Feed the Beast (new show premiering May 31), and Halt and Catch Fire. 

So from this I gleaned two new bits of info….

#1 – Halt and Catch Fire is moving to Tuesdays

And

#2 – Halt and Catch Fire will most likely premiere AFTER Feed the Beast

Of course this is speculation regarding when HCF will premiere but the fact that ads for Feed the Beast have been running pretty steadily and we’ve yet to see a single HCF promo for season 3 tells me that we shouldn’t expect HCF to premiere the same time Feed the Beast does.

(Also, HCF season 3 is still filming and a premiere at the end of May is unlikely at this point, I would imagine.)

Feed the Beast has been advertised as premiering on May 31, therefore, if Feed the Beast gets a 10-episode run, that will put HCF’s premiere date on Tuesday, August 9.

Once again, this is SPECULATION. I do not know anything for certain.

However, the August date jives with a comment Toby Huss recently made on Instagram:

Credit to @beatriceparis for the info! Thanks!

Frankly, I am happy to see the move to the new night. I felt for a long time that HCF was getting lost on Sunday nights, especially at this time of year. Each season they were up against Game of Thrones for the first few weeks which just happens to be the BIGGEST show on TV right now. Maybe moving it to Tuesdays and starting the season closer to Fall will be good for it.

EDIT: According to IMDB, episode 3.01 airs on June 5, 2016 - not sure if this is an official source, just reporting a new finding...

Bad news for us is it means we need to wait longer than we thought.

Good news is…..this gives the fans more time to….

….you guessed it…..


SPREAD THE WORD!!


Does anyone remember Phase 2 of our Fan Campaign? Did you think WE forgot about Phase 2 of our Fan Campaign? 

What IS Phase 2 of our Fan Campaign?

Glad you asked….

Phase 2 is, very simply…



SPREAD THE WORD!!


Right now, the best thing fans can do is:

Talk about Halt and Catch Fire.

Share links on social media about Halt and Catch Fire.

Create awesome Halt and Catch Fire fan art and post it, share it, make t-shirts, phone cases and mugs out of it (or whatever…).

Host Halt and Catch Fire viewing parties and invite all of your friends, family and co-workers.

Be a PEST about it.

Get people watching it and talking about it and then get THEM to spread the word too!

Word of mouth is very powerful and guess what? Both seasons 1 & 2 of Halt and Catch Fire are on Netflix and we have at least THREE MORE MONTHS to get people watching!

After season 1 ended, I used the entire hiatus to tell everyone I knew about this show to the point of being obnoxious about it and get as many of them watching as I could.

This time, I am hoping to have a little army of people doing the same between seasons 2 and 3.

I recently had a cool thing happen to me at work:

One day a co-worker came to me and asked, “Rachel, what show should I start watching? I’m caught up on everything and looking for something new…” So, of course, I seized the opportunity to fill him in! He’s started watching it, has already almost finished season 1 and has been loving it so far.

Guess what else happened? One day he and I were discussing the show and another co-worker overheard us and asked, “what show is this?” “Halt and Catch Fire.” “I’ll have to look it up….” That was Friday, this morning I came in and found out co-worker #2 had started watching it too over the weekend and also really likes it!

SCORE!


Word of mouth works, but only if you talk about it and SPREAD THE WORD!


Finally, a few words regarding AMC's promotion of HCF, or rather, the lack thereof.

I've received some comments from some fans who are frustrated by how little AMC has been promoting this show. I know season 3 is still a few months away but come on...

The AMC website does not sell Halt and Catch Fire merch.

If you visit the AMC homepage right now, Halt and Catch Fire is not showcased at all on the main page.

Halt and Catch Fire episodes are not currently available to view on AMC On Demand or the AMC website.

There has been NO sign at all that DVDs or Blu Rays of Halt and Catch Fire season 2 will be released. I remember being able to pre-order DVDs for season 1 WHILE season 1 was on the air! What is up with that??

Don't get me wrong, I am eternally grateful to AMC for renewing Halt and Catch Fire for not only a second but a THIRD season IN SPITE of very low ratings and I have the utmost respect for this network. But clearly Halt and Catch Fire is being treated like the red-headed step child of the network and isn't getting the attention it deserves.

However, I do not know what to do about this. 

I am sending this out to the fans.... PLEASE help me brainstorm this one. Is there anything we, as fans, can do to help?

What can we do to help create buzz?

What could we do to (respectfully) get AMC's attention?

I've always wanted this blog to be interactive. There is a place for comments below this blog, if anyone has any ideas, PLEASE leave a comment and let us know. 

Or you can DM either of us on Twitter at: 
@racheloretta
@BaileySweet

Is it time for us to rally together again? Sound off in the comments! Give us your ideas!

In the meantime... get out there and start making new Firefans - SPREAD THE WORD!!

-- Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment